Thursday, October 1, 2015

One week status update

They never said it would be easy.  Remember we began this journey taking two different directions because of circumstances beyond our control. So let's bring you up to speed.

Kermit's story:
The weather reports looked perfect when Kermit left on Sunday 9/22. Then reality creeper in. Kermit is traveling with Tony and Shirley from New Zealand along with Paul Bates. They are doing fine as deck hands as far as I know. Kermit Will have to flesh this part out. I will just share what I know.

The weather is awful.  Blowing like stink directly out of the east,  probably part of that weather system currently off the coast but maybe it is just bad. He is taking 3 to 4 foot waves off the nose for hours. Not fun.

He laid over in Mentor harbor yacht club on Sunday 9/22 and Monday.  They are doing more anchoring out thanks to Tony and Shirley.

They traveled the Welland Canal on Thursday this week 9/26, sliding directly through until they got held up at the last lock. Very smooth. Friday's travel on Lake Ontario was evidently awful. Kermit said there was one really bad wave that took 6.5 foot Tony right off his feet. Paul took some steps bad. They ducked into some little River to get fuel while BilEve pushed on to Rochester.  Both boats are planning to stay put Saturday.  Weather reports look good for Sunday but that doesn't mean much.

I am finishing this post on Wednesday night 9/30 in Utica on the Erie Canal.  The weather problem now is Hurricane Juaquin scheduleD to hit the east coast by the weekend.  More on that as we get closer.

BTW Jack ran out off food but replacements were found today. On the phone with Kermit Jack wandered on the swim platform again. THIS Could Be A problem.

Katherine's story:
I left on Saturday. I drove 6.5 hours to Verona NY to speak on Sunday at the NY SHRM conference.  I was VERY sick. Just a cold but it landed in my ears. I learned that icky stuff can drip from ears too. I got to the hotel and collapsed.  My illness put me off balance in lots of ways. I got dressed on Sunday morning. I looked great which nicely covered for feeling really bad. As I reached for my shoes I realized... shoes? Couldn't find any shoes. I had 3 hours and a car so I set off to buy a pair of inexpensive black shoes to supplement my sandals. Appropriately dressed I set out for the excitement of the conference.  Let's just say this conference wasn't anything like the rocking excitement of last week's OH SHRM conference.

My session was very well attended. Almost every seat full, about 60 people. My sickness made me much more subdued but probably just right cuz the audience participation was much higher than normal. I guess I was less scary and more approachable,  a good combo.

I went down the street to stay until Thursday at a Microtel.  It became home. I bought and cooked food and just hid away till I felt better. Kermit and Marissa bugged me so I spent 3 hours at a clinic to hear the diagnosis: I have a cold.

I drove around a bit to visit the Oneida Community mansion house in Oneida. You probably remember the Oneida silverware.  Everyone has a set. This business, now owned by a different outfit was founded as a religious commune that practiced free love and was decidedly nor monogamous.  In the mid 1800s. Pretty cool! People still rent apartments in the complex although the community itself has disbanded.

I started moving east on Thursday staying at the Utica Hotel, a 1920 hotel supposedly haunted although my night was uneventful. The Lobby is very grand. I walked really down the grand staircase pretending to be be an important lady from the 1920s just for a giggle.
Single lane bridge - this thing is OLD

Lake view in the Adriondakes
Before checking in I drove up to the mountains for some sunshine and warmth. I am getting the great weather Kermit wants.


The other side of that lake

Old Forge NY in the Adriondacks - this is the fire
boat built on a pontoon - everyone has that, right?
Old Forge NY



I spent today at the noisiest and largest Panera I've ever encountered.  Someone on the phone with me said it sounded like I was in a kindergarten. I am feeling a little better so I worked most of the day.

It was cool to drive east on US 90 criss crossing the Erie Canal. Thursday night I had dinner at Aqua Fino right on the Erie Canal.  It made me feel very nostalgic and excited for next week when we could be passing that way on the boat.
Me at Aqua Fina - see the Erie Canal in the background?

Friday and Saturday  I am at the Queensbury Hotel in Glens Falls NY, another cool old hotel. I am writing this on my phone listening to reggae Beatles drinking a beer and nursing home made potato soup. Life is good.


A nice trio topped off the afternoon

Taste of Glens Falls

This town looks like it has Judy Hechtkopf written all over it. I did my laundry. Slept a lot and attended taste of glen falls. Saturday afternoon I found a coffee shop with a cool jazz trio!

I flew to Atlanta on Monday,  returning Tuesday night to do some consulting work that turned out pretry well. The bad weather in the Southeast made the flights awful,  real white knuckles traveling. 0

When I return, on Wednesday I will drive to meet Kermit in Utica. Dinner again with the gang at Aqua Fino.  Paul took my car back to Canton.

We are on the road again! Going East on the Erie Canal

Passing under US 90

So far Kermit and gang are 3 or 4 days behind schedule. As of 10/1 we should be through the Erie Canal but the weather had other plans.

It feels like home to be back at the boat. I can't believe how tired I am, just exhausted. Maybe the natural boating rhythm is just what I need!


No comments:

Post a Comment