Monday, August 13, 2012

Taking a break in Lake Geneva WI

Becky and Mike Mikulka invited me to their daughter's wedding months ago. I hoped we could go but it was scheduled for 8/11/12, just after our trip started. As we got closer, it appeared to be impossible. Then Friday morning 8/10 was ugly - high winds, dark skies, big waves. Kermit said why not go to Lake Geneva for the wedding, so I did!

I rented a car and set out across the big Mackinaw Bridge for the long drive to Lake Geneva WI, a lovely drive all in all.



I arrived Friday night. Lake Geneva is lovely, sort of like an inland Mackinaw Island. They even have a fudge shop that claims to be related to one at Mackinaw!! How wierd is that?


Saturday I joined the Mikulkas and von Bergen families for the rehersal and set up at the Horticultural Hall. It was great to see good old friends. We picked up right where we left off. Becky and Mike threw a great wedding. Marilyn and Fadi are a beautiful young couple who had a fabulous time. Jackie and Dave have a great son, William. Lynn and Ian are so nice. Marilyn Austin looks exactly like she did 15 years ago. And Meg and Steve were a sight for sore eyes. Best wedding ever!!

Here are a few photos. I missed a few people. I will add photos later.







Things learned:
  1. 360 miles is not so bad when you are traveling through Michigan and Wisconsin. A lot better than the 360 mile trip from Canton to Chicago - soooo boring.
  2. Good friends are wonderful. They stick with you and make you feel warm and loved, no matter how long it has been!
  3. It is great to come home, even when your home is a boat. Hugs hit the spot!
While I was gone, Kermit polished and waxed his butt off. The boat is shiny and clean, ready for departure tomorrow!

Today we went to a great state park, Mill Creek. Michigan has wonderful  parks. We saw a saw mill operating. I went on a zip line - something on my bucket list. It was great!!!  Pictures as soon as we figure out how to download from Kermit's camera.

Tomorrow we leave for Harbor Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment